Alcohol | Federal & State Permits

The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) of the Federal Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (BATF), which is now an agency in the Department of Homeland Security, grants permits and licenses to companies in the United States to operate alcohol and tobacco-related businesses under various federal statutes, including the Federal Alcohol Administration Act (FAA Act). Alcoholic beverage businesses above the retail level (alcohol distributors, wholesalers, importers, warehouses, breweries, wineries, manufacturers and distillers) are permitted by the federal government to conduct such business under the FAA Act and the laws and regulations of the several U.S. States.

Get Started Today.

Everyone wanting to operate a business governed by the FAA Act must file with TTB the correct alcoholic beverage business permit application with all supporting documentation before beginning the business operations.

Alcoholic beverage wholesaler companies sell beverage alcohol products at wholesale to other wholesalers or retailers. However, before they do so, they must first obtain a Basic Wholesalerís Permit from TTB.

Alcoholic beverage importers (including beer, wine, and distilled spirits) must first obtain from TTB a Basic Importerís Permit. Customs and Border Protection (Customs) will ordinarily require evidence that an alcoholic beverage importer or consignee possesses a valid TTB Basic Importerís Permit before it will allow the importation.

Alcoholic beverage importers and wholesalers or distributors must also meet all state and local requirements. State and local jurisdictions ordinarily have their own relatively complex importation, distribution, storage, wholesaling and retailing requirements that are in addition to the federal TTB requirements.

The alcoholic beverage importer must also be certain that its foreign alcoholic beverage manufacturers and producers are also registered with FDA as food establishments and these foreign producers must appoint a U.S. Agent for FDA purposes. Imported alcohol shipments are also subject to FDAís prior notice of imported food regulations., LLC regularly obtains basic importer and wholesaler permits for its clients throughout the U.S., making The Way Through for imported alcohol products and brands.

Need Help?

At, LLC we make certain our importing clients understand the importation process and assist our clients in identifying appropriate actions and responses should Customs demand redelivery of a conditionally released product, or should that agency issue a demand for payment of liquidated damages pursuant to the importation bond. It is important for your company to know and follow the laws, regulations, and procedures when importing products into the United States. Get Started.